Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed his interest in Robin Van Persie, but believes the prolific striker will ultimately extend his contract with Arsenal.
The Netherlands international's deal with the Gunners expires in 2013, and a number of clubs have been alerted to the possibility of a shock summer move because he has ruled out discussing his future until then.
Despite his interest in Van Persie, who has scored an impressive 32 goals already this season, Mancini believes Arsenal will move quickly to make sure he accepts a new contract.

I think Van Persie, at this moment, is one of the best strikers in Europe with Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sergio Aguero and Mario Balotelli. I think he is a fantastic striker.
Roberto Mancini
Quoted in several national newspapers, the Italian said: "We are interested in all good players. This is normal, but not only us. I think all the good teams are interested in Van Persie.

"I think Van Persie, at this moment, is one of the best strikers in Europe with Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sergio Aguero and Mario Balotelli. I think he is a fantastic striker, but I think he will remain with Arsenal."
City have signed several Arsenal players in recent years, acquiring Samir Nasri last summer and also snapping up Gael Clichy, Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.



Mancini added: "I think if there is a good player who wants to leave a club, then we are interested. But if this player wants to stay, we don't have any problem.

"In my opinion, Van Persie will stay at Arsenal. I think Robin van Persie will sign a new contract with Arsenal because if Arsenal lose also Van Persie, they will have a big problem.

"I think Arsenal will buy good players in the summer. Arsenal is a top team. They want to win the next Premier League, so for these reasons I think he will stay."